Many people may be concerned about how to fund the homecare support and personal assistance that Explora Haven provides.

Some of our clients qualify for full or part-funding of their care through their local council, NHS trust or other bodies and these organisations can commission and pay for some or all the services we provide.

Alternatively, if you do qualify for funding, you can control the funding yourself through a direct payment.

With a direct payment, people who have been assessed as needing help by their local council’s social services team can choose to arrange and pay for their own homecare and support services instead of receiving these directly from the council.

You can also pay for our service privately. We’ll design your support package so that it meets your needs and personal budget, set up a direct debit and send you regular statements so that you can see you are spending your money wisely.

The payment options are:
a) Cheque
b) Internet transfer
c) Direct Debit
To find out more about how Explora haven can support you with homecare and personal assistance in your home and community, please contact us.